To begin at the beginning: It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobble streets silent and the hunched, courters’ and rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea.
For the first time we will be reading a play this month – Dylan Thomas’ Under Milk Wood. Our play selection this month included Look Back in Anger (John Osborne), Pygmalion (George Bernard Shaw), Mother Courage (Bertolt Brecht), Billy Liar (Keith Waterhouse) and A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams). There was no contest actually as Under Milk Wood proved to be the overwhelming favourite. Though Brecht did get 2 votes.
Our next book club
Please remember that anyone can join our Book Club. The next one will be held on Tuesday 6th July at 7.30pm. At this event we will discuss Under Milk Wood and select our next book.
Buying the book
- You can buy this book from Waterstones, WHSmith or other bookshops in Cardiff.
- Blackwells sells it and the price is usually the same as Amazon and includes FREE Delivery.
- It can be purchased quite cheaply on Kindle (around £4.99 I believe)
- If you type the title in to Google and click the Shopping tab, you can find quite a few sellers (New and used)
- If Amazon is out of stock, check Amazon “New” or “Used” options from other sellers through Amazon. Kindle is another option. Waterstones and Blackwells sell it as do many suppliers on eBay.
Can anyone join the Book Club?
Of course! To join the St Helen’s Book Club, please click this link. You can then enter your details and you will be sent joining instructions. Alternatively, you can always email Canon John on email@example.com.